"And above all watch with glittering eyes the world around you, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

20 March 2014

When Mental Exhaustion Hits...

This is what I feel like doing right now. It's not yet 9pm, it's a Wednesday, I've only written about 800 words for this week and there are deadlines looming...but this is all I want to do.
 


Sometimes I think I forget that I'm just an ordinary human being. I try to convince myself that I can do everything and all at once. Society has created this expectation, especially for women, that we can have it all. Yes, we probably can, but it does come at a price. In my blog article Writing a Novel While Working Full Time, I described how I managed to do just this; write a novel. It is completely do-able. But sometimes you just need a break. It's true.

Yes, yes. I hear you people tut-tutting out there - what about the ABC? (Apply Bum to Chair, for those of your may be unfamiliar); what about making yourself write something each day?; what about the 500 words a day challenge set by
Jeff Goins? I know, I know.

But I've actually done quite a bit for the year so far, actually, and it's still only March. In fact, I've probably done more in 2014 so far than I did for the whole of 2013. But I'm feeling it - I admit. I am not super human.

I know myself. If I don't write and have a creative outlet, I get cranky and moody. The very same applies when I've pushed myself too far, too hard for just a tad too long. This isn't writer's block - it's just me in a state of mental exhaustion.

Before I reach the point of no return, I think I need to take a break from writing for a two or three days. It always does me a world of good.

So with that, I bid you goodnight, until my next blog. This bit of time 'off' might just help me catch up on some reading.

Carmen

x
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment