"And above all watch with glittering eyes the world around you, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

27 March 2014

Blogs, Blogging and What-Not


For those of you who have been keeping track, you may have noticed that my blog appearance has changed a few times. I had a blue squiggly background, which my husband said made the blogposts illegible. Then I changed it to a beige background with a few birds flying around. That was okay. I kept that for a few months but the beige just became too boring and I felt a desperate need for colour! So I changed it to something with a bright orange background with minimal squiggles. I liked that for about a day and then changed it to the current one - which I love! And I think I will for a long time to come.

As soon as I picked this one, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction at the accomplishment and let out a sigh of relief - as if I'd just ended a gigantic marathon. Isn't that weird, though, that I would feel like that about my blog? In a way, I suppose it's like a little baby that needs to be nurtured. I read one of Jeff Goins blogs which said that his current very successful blog was about his ninth attempt at this craziness. Obviously he got it right this time round, so I don't feel too bad that this is my third.

The thing is, though, that there is an unseen pressure on writers (Indie in particular, I think) to get your name 'out there' in the big wide world. Now I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't learn about blogging at school. I didn't learn it at University either, seeing as I studied Occupational Therapy! Heck, when I was in late high school, we had a PC at home which had Windows 3.0 accompanied by a dot matrix printer. I only learned about the internet when I was in about my second year at University.

But I digress. The point I'm trying to make is that, all-in-all, this is a fairly newish platform for me. In all honesty, I struggle to know exactly what the right thing is to blog about, if there is such a thing. At the moment, I'm doing it by trial and error, hit and miss. Jeff Goins says that we need to find our voice. I'm still trying to find mine. Hopefully one day I'll find that niche and feel the same way about my blog content as I did about the designing of it.

What are your views on blogging? Are you fairly new as well? Do you struggle with finding things to blog about? Please comment below. I'd love to hear from you.

Carmen
x

No comments:

Post a Comment