"And above all watch with glittering eyes the world around you, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

6 February 2014

Which Books / Movies are you Obsessed With?


Have you ever watched the movie Conspiracy Theory with Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts? He was the guy who came up with all those crazy theories about what the government was covering up. Anyway, you'll remember that he had this (crazy) obsession with J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. In the movie he says when he sees a copy, he has to buy it. If he doesn't see a copy, he has to  find one and then buy it, just to feel normal. I put the word 'crazy' in parenthesis, because I don't think it's crazy at all. I'm sure there's many people out there who feel that way about something.

For me, it's books and movies / special dvds. Even if I don't read or watch it all the time, I need to be able to go to my bookshelf or TV stand and just see it there. That makes me feel comfortable. I go into a little bit of a panic if it's not where it should be.

My taste is eclectic, and my husband sighs loudly when I pop certain DVDs into the player. In fact, he has made it clear that some movies can only be watched when he is not home. (The same goes for certain music, but that's another story for another day...) One in particular which springs to mind is The Mummy (the first one). Don't judge me, okay. I love that movie! I also have to have my copy of Victor Hugo's Les Misérables with me, wherever we live,  which I first read when I was about eighteen, as well as the stage version with Colm Wilkinson as Jean Valjean. It has to be the one with Colm Wilkinson. I have to make sure that I have Life is Beautiful, which I watch in Italian and read the subtitles (I can't stand the dubbed voices). Louisa May Alcott's Little Women and Henry James' The Europeans also always goes along. I also watch the Winona Ryder/Christian Bale version of Little Women at least once a month, by the way. There's my Douglas Adams, Roald Dahl, Agatha Christie, Charlotte Brontë, Dan Brown (yes, Dan Brown), etc. that live on my bookshelf constantly. I have also recently discovered the joys of Jasper Fforde and Jim Butcher. Quite eclectic, as you can see. I just feel lost without them.
 
My list goes on - Dead Poets' Society, naturally. Empire Records is a gem. “Not today - not on Rex Manning day!” Hook with Dustin Hoffman in heels and Robin Williams in tights; Tangled; The Witches; anything by M. Night Shyamalan and of course, anything by Tim Burton, although I admit that I found Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, just a tad scary. But look, it's a Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaboration. Chances are very good that I'd watch it again. 
 
So coming back to Mel Gibson in the movie, his 'obsession' was portrayed like it was a psych condition. Maybe it is, but I think it's a psych condition which is perfectly acceptable. (Along with writers listening to the voices in their heads!) I love my books and I love my movies and I certainly wouldn't have it any other way. They make me happy.


So which books / movies are you obsessed with?

Would love to hear from you! Share in the comment box below. J

Carmen
x


2 comments:

  1. I've got The Mummy too! lol Movies I watch over and over (and I own them too): Avatar (the blue people), The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Sense and Sensibility, Much Ado About Nothing, Lord of the Rings (extended version), Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, The Last Samurai (only when I feel like crying, though), ...oh wait and I own the first six seasons of The Big Bang Theory...will own the rest too! *zealous dance* Books...let's see, Jim butcher's Dresden Files, Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth), David Eddings (his old stuff), Ann McCaffrey (the Harpers of Pern trilogy), Douglas Adams, Melanie Rawn, Terry Pratchett, JK Rowling and many more. Some of those books I've read over 10 times. I just can't get enough of them. And there's over 100 books on my shelf that I still haven't read yet. And I just keep buying books and DvDs. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Not sure how I forgot about The Lord of the Rings! I'm sitting and watching it right now :). Ah, and Much Ado About Nothing. The Kenneth Brannagh version, right? We're so on the same page!

    ReplyDelete