"And above all watch with glittering eyes the world around you, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

9 January 2014

Writing Quotes

Writing Quotes



A very happy 2014 to you all and welcome to my new home for blogging!
I thought I’d start off the year with something inspirational to get the writing juices flowing and decided to share a few of my favourite writing quotes with you.

I hope you find at least one quote that stands out, affirming that being a writer is exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life. This very first quote is my absolute favourite.
“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the world around you, because the greatest   secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
 - Roald Dahl
 
“Fill you paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth
 
“Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.”
– George Orwell
 
"A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.” – Roald Dahl
 

“I never exactly made a book. It’s rather like taking dictation. I was given things to say.”– C.S. Lewis
 

“I write for the same reason I breathe...because if I didn’t, I would die.”
– Isaac Asimov
 

“Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.”– Cyril Connolly
 

“A writer never has a vacation. For a writer life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.” – Eugene Ionesco
 

“A book worth reading only in childhood is not worth reading even then.”
– C.S. Lewis
 

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” – Anton Chekov
 

“If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.”– Stephen King
 

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
– Maya Angelou
 

“There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.”– W. Somerset Maughan
 

“If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”– Toni Morrison

And finally...
“Don’t forget – no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one can tell the stories that you have to tell.” – Charles de Lint

Hope you’ve been inspired. Happy writing!

Carmen
x

No comments:

Post a Comment